Sunday, June 25, 2017

My 3D printed USB to SATA case

I have been working on making a simple usb hard drive case since I have a usb to sata cable and hard drive. I figured I could make a simple case that I could use with this if I really needed something portable without having to mess with screws. Here's what I came up with.

Cover





Case
I put a lot of holes to make sure the drive is kept cool. Even small drives tend to warm up a bit if the enclosure doesn't have any cooling which is never good for any hard drive.

 After about 5 or 6 revisions here's the final case. Top. I wanted to be able to just snap the top on and off. It works but it's still a bit hard to remove which I guess it's good because it won't just come off, I really have to pull hard on it to get that off. So it works as intended.

 Here's the bottom where I added more cooling and a hole so I can push the drive out since it sits just snug. I also added some screw holes for a more permanent install if I want.

 Here's the cable and drive installed.


 Here's the inside of the bottom half.


And here are all my test prints before I finally got it working.

No comments: