January 3, 2016
Yesterday I spent some time machining a bushing for the end of the drill press lead screw which tends to wobble quite a bit. I had some scrap of aluminum I thought I turn down to size and just get some chips going. Since I only had a piece that was about one inch in diameter, I spend a very long time just cutting it down. So I learned my lesson. I need to get some smaller pieces in case I need another bushing. I did another one for the mini lathe years ago and I guess I just haven't had a need to make many so that's why I haven't gotten any smaller pieces. Anyway, here's a picture of what I ended up with. It's a bit long because the inner piece was my first try and I was pretty tired of cutting this so I started taking larger cuts and cut it under just a tad. The good thing is that I had this other side, so I did the same thing until it got close and took that very lightly to get just the right amount of clearance where I could push it in but it would not be loose. So it's a bit of a press fit if you will and won't move.
My dad is the one who always uses the drill press and I finally got a chance to use it and found out why he was always telling me how bad this thing was. Well I lubed it up, adjusted things on the drill press and vise and now it works much better. I think the size was 19 mm OD and 16 ID. Well the inner was just over the lead screw size which was fine since it's just to guide it or keep it in place.
Now that I have been adjusting things on the machines so that they can be used I finally got a few more pieces of stock to make a few more parts.
January 5, 2016
I got a chance to see if I could use the same screw to mark the smaller brackets. The screw does fit the holes on the side but since there is no thread is a bit lose. I used the drawbar stop handle on the right side to give the screw a stop. While I held this in place with the tip sticking out, I went ahead and marked the smaller brackets.
January 7, 2016
Clamps work continued...
I've been working on these mill machinist vise clamps for a few days. I wanted to take my time to make sure I got them done right. So when I got to the smaller clamps I found out I needed a 17/64 drill bit in order to make a hole for an 8 mm thread. Unfortunately getting the correct metric drill bit here in the USA is not as easy as you think. Needles to say it's taken me about two days just looking and driving around trying to find this size drill bit. Trying to find this size was bad enough, I also wanted to get the cobalt version so that I don't have to keep buying them since I usually have to drill into very tough bolts and steel. In the end I found this craftman 17/64 black oxide that I decided to try since it was the only one I could find. The brackets are cold rolled steel and pretty touch but this managed to get the holes done. I'm only going through about 4 mm of steel so that helped too. I first used the center drill to make my mark. I probably didn't need to use it, but I'm really liking center drills.
January 11, 2016
I finally got the vise clamps all primed and painted. It's been cool and raining so I had to let these sit for a few days so the pain would dry as much as possible. They actually came out pretty good. I wanted to paint them because steel will just start rusting like there's no tomorrow.
Although this machinist vise works fine, it did not come with any mounting clamps which is not something you think about when you're starting with this stuff. The good news is that now you can get one of the newer 3" vises with the built-in clamping ears. I was thinking about getting one but decided to get the clamps since I found these that I could easily use. I did find out that this vise may not be the best one for larger part holding so maybe in the future I'll look into one of the others if they are not too much or if the need comes up. I do have a nice flat piece of aluminum that I want to make a tooling plate out of. I already dialed this vise in so that will be for another time.
I finally got a chance to test out my keyless chuck on the drill press. As it turns out, that slight round at the end of the tang doesn't only screw things up on the mini lathe, but it won't even allow me to get much of the wedge to remove it from the drill press. In short, I will need to finally make a flat on the end like the original chuck tang you see here in order to allow for the key/wedge to go in with any problem. I can barely get it in there now so I will finally fix this once and for all. I don't know if it was just this chuck, but man, who knew that little end there could be so much trouble. I was trying to figure out how I was going to do it, but I'm just going to stand it up straight and hold it in a vise and mill the top. In the mill if I can get it done, or the drill press even. The keyless chuck is a grizzly H8260 1/2" MT2 that I got a while back when I got my lathe. The chuck works great, but this rounded tang has been the worst thing ever. Of course I didn't want to mess with it, thinking why mess with it when it actually does need fixing.Well just that tang that is. You can see that even the HF chuck came with a nice flat on the tang. And now that I lubed it and adjusted things, it makes holes just fine.
January 11, 2016
I got a chance to test the new vise clamps. I finally mill the end of this keyless chuck that had an ark instead of being flat. That small rounded end has be nothing but a pain to use. Even in the drill press, I could barely put the wedge in to remove it so I'm happy I finally got around to doing this one.