Two days ago I made a large print that came out pretty bad in terms of its layers. I thought it was just the glow in the dark filament as those are more liquid almost when you melt them. Okay that's a bit extreme but you know what I mean. Then I tried making prints of other small parts I wanted to make and found the layers to be just as bad. Hmmm, the bed has been leveled, my first layer is great. Tried again, same thing, again, with default settings now to make sure it wasn't me, same thing. Made a few print order changes to test, same thing. I decided to re-install the cb firmware in case there was an update, but nope, same thing. So I took apart the extruder to clean it up again and hope that would help. So far I'm printing again but the layers still look bad. The machine is printing but I have no idea what is going on. So here are the pictures I took when I took it apart. I figured I might as well document it while I was doing this. I'll try with a different filament to check one last time since everything seems to still be working and this is the same filament I have printed other parts without any problem. I think I'll also give a different extruder hack a try later on. These were all taken with my cell phone so they may not be the best.
After trying to use the 10mm wrench that didn't fit, this is what I used to take this apart. The largest cb hex kex through the hole to hold it worked great. Take the pliers and carefully twist. The material is not metal so it may deform a tiny bit it's not too soft so you will be fine.
This piece is about 29 mm long, but I only found most parts to be in the 25 mm - 30 mm long. I guess this is just another weird size just like the filament gear that I tried getting off ebay. It just wasn't the same as the one the craftbot uses.
Update...a couple of hours later...
After taking it apart the first time and still having the same problem I decided to take it apart again, but this time I went deeper with the cleaning. Here are the pictures and what I did.
I have now put this back on and it's currently printing the same small pieces I was trying to print before. I just need to check and see if I get any weird bubbles again along with those ugly prints. There's nothing much left other than change the tip, so if this doesn't work, I guess I'll have to change that and test it. I'll come back after this print is done or stopped by me.
I got similar bad prints, but things improved a bit with extrusion. So I just changed the tip and that covers all I can do with this hotend for now. I'm now printing the parts again with the new tip.
I was running out of options, but changing the tip seems to have done it!
I should mention that I did clean my old tip on a wire wheel, although that shouldn't affect the inside I guess it's better to just stay away from those, just to make sure you don't accidentally do anything to them. They don't look that soft, but who knows.
Well I found this posting in my FB today which is the day after I fixed my problem and sure enough the part about the cleaning the nozzle is exactly the problem I had, but I wasn't sure it was a clog. My filament did extrude to the side like the video shows.