Craftbot slicer software

Okay I have been testing the craftware and trying a few parts. I don't have a printer but wanted to get familiar with the software. So here are a few of the parts I have designed and put into the craftware software. In order to print parts you need a design program like CAD, a printer, the printer program that takes the design  file in an stl file format. This in turns changes the stl file into the code the machine can understand which is called G-Code.

This is a cube I designed to get an idea of the whole volume that the craftbot could print. This actually took a while since I just started making all the stuff in the middle. The craftbot print volume dimensions are 250 cm wide x 200 cm deep x 200 cm high. I think I made the box 200 cm x 200 x 250. Needless to say, no matter how I turned the box I couldn't get it to fit.

I went back and changed the dimensions and then all the other parts where all weird. I couldn't get this to combine, so I went back to a more simple design of just the box to make my life easier and still have something that could be printed on the machine so that you can have a physical object of what the printer can make. Or at least the largest part you can make on it.

After making all my changes and making sure my dimensions where correct, this is what I ended up with. It now fits in the software correctly.

You can download the stl file here.

I ended up fixing one more dimension on the bottom. I think it was like 245 instead of 250. So here's the new file with a few more updates (supports) to make it a bit more rigid and interesting. I know this adds more to a box that has no actual use, but it's nice to practice since I don't do this all the time. A good simple box to test the machine overall volume anyway. :) The link to download the file is at the bottom.

Okay, so the box looks nice, but it looks like you can't print the horizontal bars in midair, obviously I wasn't thinking about this and me being a noob it just wasn't something in my brain. I have to go back and think about this a bit more now. Of course solids should print fine but anything like this will need a bit more though. Here's a picture of me playing with some support beams just to see what I could do. Still not good for printing it...but a good exercise nonetheless.
I guess I could make a whole solid, but then it will be just a box...hmmm

Here is the new file. I added a .3mm wall from the outside in all around so the outside dimensions are still the same. I don't know if this will help print the box or not, but here it is.

I'll work on adding the same from the inside in which will look like solid edges but should be hollow.

I couldn't get the hollow sides as it was taking forever so I just went with solid sides. I went down to 1mm thickness all around instead of 2mm. The program says it takes from 15 to 20 hours, so I guess something needs to be tweaked there, but I'm not sure what in order to print this a bit faster. The file is below.

Okay, so this box has been a great lesson in design for me. Since I don't have a printer and Jimmi was going to try and print this but as the file got bigger and bigger with the sides even the thinner sides, this made it pretty hard for anyone to try. So back to the drawing board I went and decided to make the box in separate parts knowing the dimensions. So here's what I have done to try and get a box.  It's much more simplified since now each side can be printed individually and then put together. Well that's the idea anyway. I'll add the three files below. Since two the two opposing sides are identical, you need two print two of each for all sides and the box should be complete. Assuming I got everything right it should just assemble together now. I also added a couple of holes and extrusions to make it snap together. It's the only way I could think of making it in order for it to hold together, then you can glue if it doesn't snap together. I hope that it does though.

No comments: