April 18, 2016
I finally sat down and made some updates to my mini itx design. I have now put my old hardware into the case I had laying around and found the front to be a bit on the thin side. It was also a bit tight, just how I designed it, but I decided it was time for a version two. I gave myself another 10 mm on the front of the case. I also made the side walls a bit thicker. Although this will add even more time to the print time, I feel much better about the design now. I managed to break the front trying to fit in one of the buttons and that's just not something I want to happen. So I had to make some changes on all the large parts which is still within the bed size. The width is still under 200 mm which is what my bed is but this is still cutting it close and the length is still way under the 250 mm of the bed. The only problem with these large parts is the lifting of the corners. But glue seems to be working okay. Unfortunately my printer is still not printing so great. I did another two day print and the side walls where not sticking so great not to mention extremely thin in some places. Aside from printer problems and cad software problems, it's slowly getting there. I'm calling this one version 2. I've also made a few other minor changes to the side panels on the bottom. I'm still working my way up so the bottom needs to be perfect because I'm now also using it as my computer case. I'm hoping these will be the biggest changes I need to make so I can concentrate on other things. If you want to see the video I have on this, just go to youtube and look for 3d printed nas case to get an idea of what it looks like once printed. It's the same case, this one will just be a little longer to give me a tiny bit more space inside. The first one works just fine, but I decided to make all the changes since I wanted to fix the walls anyway.