Thursday, January 4, 2018

Bios usb programmer.

I ordered this programmer because I thought I had bricked the nas motherboard with a firmware update this past year. So I thought I try one of these programmers. The good news is that the board wasn't bricked, but the update just didn't go through so well so I had to do a few more steps after I contacted the manufacturer of the board. Needless to say, I wanted to have one of these on hand just in case.  You don't get any software with the board but I found a great blog post on it. There is also a clip type of adapter that can be plugged into these so that you never have to de-solder any chip from the board. I don't know if it works for all or not since I have yet to use it, but that's a better option than having to de-solder anything. The removable chips can just be plugged directly to the programmer.
https://onetransistor.blogspot.com/2017/08/ch341a-mini-programmer-schematic.html

Here's the other clip I mentioned. As you can see the small board is the same as the one included with the programmer, but this one comes with pins on both sides. Unfortunately the programmers don't seem to solder the pins and they also don't include the extra pins to solder on the other side of the board. There are other adapters but I think these are the two most basic ones that you will need. Just to be clear though, you should really never need to do this at all if the board program works. I still have yet to need it, but it's good to have one just in case.

No comments: