Monday, February 6, 2017

Edge Memory

I just found out about this company and thought I look into it a bit more. You may or may not recognize the name, but I had never heard of them. They are a dram manufacturer in north America. One of the things I like about it is that they are in Texas so you get US based support if you need it. They also have a 5 year warranty on their ssds which most regular HD manufacturers don't even do nowadays for regular hard drives. So they got my attention since their hardware looked interesting. Take a look at their ssd's. They of course have a few other products.
http://us.edgememory.com/index.php/products/solid-state-drives/client-ssds

 
I just finished installing this on my desktop and since it is an older computer, I can hardly tell the difference other than it does not get warm like the old platter type of drives which is nice. It's also so light that if feels like nothing is in it. But so far I got it installed and although this drive doesn't include any software that I could find, it seems to be working. I have not tried the firmware software of anything since I just got it installed last night. My regular drive was having some hiccups so this is the reason I also decided to go with an ssd. We'll see how it does over time. One thing to note is that you should follow the manufacturers instructions on these. Some people use ssd's and they will die prematurely from what I have read. Windows may need to get some settings changed in order to make the best of an ssd drive.

Here are my crystal mark readings. Do keep in mind that I'm using an old AMD computer with very low specifications, or I should say the board is pretty old so it may not take advantage of the full specs. Maybe the firmware will help but I have yet to look into that. But just to give you an idea which is nothing close to what it's supposed to be. In any case I am liking the lower heat on these factor on these.

Here's the final look at this ssd installed.


Update: September 18, 2017
I wanted to update this test now that I have changed to a new computer. Here are the readings I got this time with the updated hardware and software. As you can see there is a huge difference between now and my old test above.


Below are the specifications according to the manufacturer. As you can see that although it's not exactly at those claim numbers, it is very close. And you can also see that if you use an ssd in a much older system, you will not be taking advantage of its speeds.


No comments: